Flooring Pros at Floormasters.com
SERVING WOOD FLOORING PROFESSIONALS ONLINE SINCE 1997

Hardwood Floors The Floormasters forum was hosted online from 1997–2015 by wood flooring legend Bill Price Sr. as a service to the wood flooring industry. After Bill passed away in 2015, Wood Floor Business magazine agreed to archive the content from the Floormasters forum on its website so this valuable resource of wood flooring discussions would not be lost. For active forum discussions, visit the Wood Floor Business Forum.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wood filler . . .
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 pm 

I've been using Timbermate filler for a few years now. But I found that its virtue is in filling large gaps and holes with NO shrinking at all! But when I need a grain filler, it's not my favorite. (I guess they have a newer, more trowel-able version?)

But today, I needed to trowel/grain fill a mesquite floor that I installed. I need to get rid of the hairline cracks because light shows them up terribly if I don't. Anywho . . . I used Final Touch for the very first time. Quite smooth and creamy. (Biz, it spread as easily as that video on your other thread to Marco.) I covered 400 square foot room in about 20-25 minutes with 3/4 of a gallon. I spread it with a rubber trowel. A wide metal trowel perhaps would cover more footage.
Tomorrow I have another room to do, but all I have available is WoodWise. I'll be able to compare.

Which of the three do you guys like?

Charlie in Arizona

Post subject: Re: Wood filler . . .
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:11 pm 

I perfer the 15.75 inch trowel http://www.woodwise.com/tools/trowels.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:54 pm 

rarely fill anymore (mostly pine floors = no filling) but T-mate when we do. We have old stock, the thick stuff that has to be watered down. We put it down with a drywall knife.

As for t-mate vs woodwise, no comparison, hands down t-mate works better IMO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:00 am 

Well an apprentice such as myself certainly doesn't have much experience with very many fillers on the market, ;) but the limited times I've used the final touch filler have gone quite smooth. I tried to trowel timbermate once totally forgetting to wet down the surface beforehand and keep it warm so that was a nightmare. It got so thick seemingly instantly.

In that video I had actually thinned down some of the final touch spot filler with denatured alcohol (Isopropyl is recommended apparently) because I was low on the white oak trowel filler and couldn't wait on shipping. So it wasn't quite as good as normal, it would dry out and thicken up a little bit, but as you can see it was still quite trowelable. But yeah Final Touch For The Win!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:25 am 

I just finish-sanded and finished a floor yesterday which 2 coworkers had rough-sanded and flood-filled. Filler was popping out left and right. They never listen: You have to make sure the filler goes deep into the cracks. If a little ridge is not being raised over the cracks as you fill, you aren't getting enough in the cracks. Make sure the filler has enough water in it to be thin enough and angle the drywall knife down to force it into the cracks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:53 pm 

Today, I trowel filled with WoodWise. As far as grain filling, WoodWise worked "ok." However, I still think Final Touch is nicer, easier to work with. With the Woodwise, I found that I needed to mist spray water over the bare wood for a smoother application. With Final Touch is wasn't necessary. I haven't tried the newer Timbermate for grain filling. But the one problem I have with it is that the bare wood seems to suck the life out of the product.

Just my ever-so-humble opinion.

Charlie in Arizona

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:04 pm 

I prefer Timbermate first (spot filling) and Final Touch second. Every now and then I have a job that is just too opened up to use Timbermate however. On those occasions, I will fill the larger cracks with Timbermate and then juse Final Touch on the rest. I apply with a yellow 6" plastic auto body applicator. I purchased some close out Timbermate over a year ago from a distributor. Is the newer stuff thinner and still not shrink? I can't stand filling more than once and that is why I think it is usually worth the extra time using the harder to apply Timbermate. Ric

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]