- Why Does This Wood Floor Finish Have a Milky Cast and Uneven Sheen?
by Mike Sundell | June/July 2012
The Problem I got a call about a floor with finish that showed a definite milky cast-sometimes described as a hazy look-in the overall appearance...
- Dirty Poly Beads Appear in This Trouble-Plagued Gym Floor
by Robert Gamble | April/May 2012
The ProblemAn old gym floor in the Southwest was resanded and coated with poly, but the finish was peeling off. A second attempt at resanding and...
- It Varies: We Can't Expect Solid Prefinished Wood Floor Widths to be Perfect
by Peter Fahey | April/May 2012
As an NWFACP-certified inspector, one of the most common installer/retailer/consumer complaints I see is regarding width variation in solid...
- Tales From the Front: 'Inferior' Finish Sends Flooring Back
by HF Editors | April/May 2011
Bruce Uhler, environmental ambassador for Kährs Hardwood Flooring, remembers a customer service call that left everyone shaking their heads. The...
- Tales From the Front: Complaint Emerges From Shadows
by WFB Editors | February/March 2011
Eric Butler from West River, Md.-based Butler Flooring Solutions recalls a memorable complaint: The customer called and said she had darker areas...
- Tales From the Front: Cats Multiply on Job Site
by WFB Editors | December 2011/January 2012
Recently, a crew at Barnum Floors in Des Moines, Iowa, was installing hardwood floors for a family who had decided to schedule a vacation during the...
- Tales From the Front: Levitating Vent Causes a Callback
by WFB Editors | August/September 2010
Avi Hadad, owner at El Sobrante, Calif.-based Avi's Hardwood Flooring, recalls one job with a unique problem. It started typically: He got a call...
- Tales From the Front: Change Leaves Contractor in the Cold
by WFB Editors | June/July 2010
Scott Hembree of West Chester, Ohio-based Hembree Hardwood Floors often wears shorts when he's working on a job site.
- Tales From the Front: Contractor Encounters Naked Homeowner
by WFB Editors | April/May 2010
Contractors are full of stories involving being seduced by bored housewives, but here's a story about an encounter with a naked homeowner you can...
- Tales From the Front: Burglar Tries Duping Contractor
by HF Editors | February/March 2010
Fred Timberlin, manager of Wood Pro Inc.'s Albany, N.Y., branch, recently had a flooring delivery with an unexpected twist.