A dozen students at an elementary school in Juneau, Alaska, were served a liquid they believed to be milk but turned out to be flooring sealant, NPR reported.
During a breakfast on June 14, students attending a child care program held at Sitʼ Eeti Shaanáx̱ Glacier Valley Elementary School complained about the “milk,” saying that it was burning their mouths and throats. Staff at the school reportedly checked the source of the liquid and discovered the students had been served Hillyard Seal 341, a flooring sealant for hard surfaces that describes the product as having a milky appearance. The sealant was erroneously delivered as part of a shelf-stable milk shipment to a warehouse used to store food for the school district, according to CNN. After discovering the error, the school staff contacted poison control.
One child was treated at a hospital and two others were picked up from the school and may have sought medical attention, according to NPR. CNN reported that all children involved in the incident were recovering.
The sealant was served by NANA Management Services (NMS), an Alaska-based food and facility services corporation, according to NPR. An investigation into the incident has been launched by NMS, the city and borough of Juneau and the Juneau Police Department.
Additional bottles of the flooring sealant have been removed from the food warehouse, according to CNN.