Kim M. Wahlgren is the longtime editor of Wood Floor Business. Based in Madison, Wis., she manages the day-to-day operations of the WFB print magazine, website, E-News and social media. She holds degrees from the University of Wisconsin in journalism and Spanish. Away from the office, she’s busy enjoying her family, including two beautiful children, a sassy ex-racehorse, an extraordinarily silly black Labrador mutt and her husband, Brent, whom she met at … yes, wood flooring school.
Sunday, April, 01, 2007
State of the Wood Flooring Industry 2007: Global Vision
In recent years, the wood flooring industry grew accustomed to nearly unlimited demand for its products. Builders couldn't get houses up fast enough,
- Thursday, February, 01, 2007 How to Handle Tricky Wood Finishing Situations Like a Pro Ask any contractor what the majority of his callbacks are, and it's a safe bet they're related to finish problems. Finishing is a process that needs to be done carefully and with thoughtful...
- Friday, December, 01, 2006 Tackling Big Wood Flooring Jobs Congratulations. You just landed that first big job—about 20,000 square feet of Brazilian cherry— you'd been hoping for. The square footage is big, and your projected profit looks even...
- Tuesday, August, 01, 2006 Green Building is Red-Hot In today's construction market, "green" building is red-hot. Five years ago, the concept was outside the mainstream, with pockets of activity in stereotypically environmentally aware markets...
- Thursday, June, 01, 2006 Sprucing Up Your Prefinished Wood Floors When you think of a prefinished floor, do you picture a low-end product quickly straight-laid in a tract home? While there are still plenty of factory-finished floors installed quickly in...
Saturday, April, 01, 2006
State of the Wood Flooring Industry 2006: Distributors React
"Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated." — Mark Twain
- Saturday, April, 01, 2006 Step by Step: Preparing a Good Wood Floor Subfloor Every good wood flooring job starts with good subfloor preparation. If it doesn't, the installer takes a gamble. If he's lucky, nothing bad will happen, and he'll probably continue his gambling...
Thursday, December, 01, 2005
Get a Handle on Wood Floor Staining Strategies
Some wood flooring contractors love to stain floors. They up sell their jobs by offering customers any color they desire, even without having to buy expensive exotic species.
Saturday, October, 01, 2005
How Wood Flooring Contractors Around the Globe Do Business
The popularity of wood flooring in the United States and Canada is surging, but we are not alone: It's a trend that spans borders across the globe.
- Monday, August, 01, 2005 A Look at Sustainable Harvesting in a Hardwood Forest Mention a timber harvest, and most people envision a clear cut-nothing but stumps left in what appears to be total destruction. In the case of trees harvested to supply the domestic hardwood...