In the April/May 2019 issue of WFB, I talked about all the reasons why it's important to have your social media accounts set up correctly as business accounts, not personal accounts. Here are directions on how to set up Facebook and Instagram correctly as business accounts:
How to Set Up a Business Account on Facebook
1) Log in to your personal Facebook account (either on desktop or mobile).
2) On desktop, use the dropdown menu in the top right corner and choose “Create Page.” On mobile, use the menu at the bottom right of your screen and choose "Pages," then "Create Page."
3) Facebook will walk you through the setup process, and you're ready to use your new Facebook business account.
Note that you can switch a personal Facebook account to a business account, but it isn't a straightforward process, and you lose all your previous posts. If your company is already on FB as a personal account, it's probably best to start a new business page.
How to Set Up a Business Account on Instagram:
1) Open Instagram on your mobile phone (you don’t need a personal account).
2) Enter your phone number or email address and choose a username to start an account:
3) Click on “Edit Profile” and select “Try Instagram Business Tools.”
4) Select your business category (e.g., “Local Business” or “Home Improvement”).
5) Add a profile picture (ideally, your company logo) and description to complete your profile.
How to Switch Your Personal Instagram to a Business Account:
1) Go to your settings and click “Switch to Business Profile.”
2) You should now see a "Promotions" button show up at the top of your screen. That's the easiest way to see at a glance if your account is a personal or business account.